Friday, January 1, 2016

Durigutti Reserva Malbec

We're going to try to keep better tabs on our wines in 2016....so I thought I'd start by noting down our Wine of the Night tonight.  :)

Grape Varietal: Malbec
Vintage: 2011
Country: Argentina
Region: Mendoza
Producer: Durigutti (Reserva)
Price and Place of Purchase: gift from a friend

Appearance:Deep ruby-red that mellows to a bright burgundy color toward the edges of a glass
Bouquet:A muted hint of a vinegary fruitiness. It wasn't hugely pleasant at first, but it isn't bad. It just didn't make me want to revel in the bouquet.

Cathy's Overall Thoughts: I wasn't a big fan, but I enjoyed it. At first, without any food, it felt a bit overwhelmingly sour. It did change, though, with some food. I think the spiciness of some queso balanced out the sourness and allowed me to enjoy the bold fruitiness. In general, I love Malbecs, but I wasn't a huge fan of this Malbec. It tasted more like a Merlot, which isn't meant to be cruel about that vintage, but just different than I was used to. It was enjoyable to drink and I appreciated the gift.

Overall, I give this a 7.5/10 on my scale.

We paired with: "Sherlock: The Abominable Bride" (i.e. we drank it by itself) until we added in some chips and queso.
We recommend this with: food--something bold and with a strength to balance the body of this wine.


Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment